Crossover Pipe

jyatesmp

Scooter
I know, I know. I am about to open a can of worms.

I have a 2007 TBA and I want take out the crossover pipe. I have read claims that it will not do anything (but change the exhaust note) to it will damage your motor.

From what I gather it will ghange the exhaust note and MAY take some hp or torque. If so how much are we talking?

GO

mark66

TT Racer
I'm not sure on our newer Triumphs but I know the older ones like the TT's and racers never ran balance pipes. Don't believe this can ruin your engine. Of course I'm talking carbed bikes and not the EFI ones. I read somewhere that the balance pipe setup did something for the mid throttle range. My bet is you'd gain some hp without the restriction of the exhaust moving through the crossover.

koifarm

Hooligan
I know on the older Triumphs I owned I modded all of them to TT pipes without a crossover pipe and there was no problem. Having never put one on a dyno it would be a guess what the effect is but my guess would be it's okay on the carb models, can't say about the FInjected ones having no experience with those.
It would seem any mechanic worth a dime could put the pipes on and tune for them.

loxpump

Rocker
I removed the crossover pipe on my 2002 Bonnie when I had the pipes removed to be ceramic coated about 2 years ago. I didn't notice any seat of the pants loss in power, but I did lose my slight popping I had on deceleration. Been running great. I just used a section of the crossover pipe as a patch to weld over the hole.

jyatesmp

Scooter
Took the headders and mufflers off.... Cut the crossover pipe about an inch from each headder and welded in a 1-1/4" washer with a 1/4" hole, then filled in the hole....If you don't have a welder I'm sure a muffler shop will cut and weld it for you.

jyatesmp

Scooter
Ok no change with MPG. Still getting 42 city and 52 highway. I was going to get some sound bites, but my new exhaust came in and well I wanted to put it on and never got around to sound bites with my TRO's. I do have some of my new exhaust (EPCO 32" turnouts) if anyone knowes how to post them let me know.

jyatesmp

Scooter
Ok I have sound clips and I am working on trying to get them uploaded so everyone can hear. I took them on my phone and it appears most computers are not compatible with the format.

If you want pm me your cell # and I will send them via mms text.

What I have is a 2007 America 32" x 3" EPCO turnouts with the cross pipe removed, snorkel removed and bottom of the air box/filter cut. The sound clips sound good, but I can not even begin describe the in person sound.

mark66

TT Racer
Ok I have sound clips and I am working on trying to get them uploaded so everyone can hear. I took them on my phone and it appears most computers are not compatible with the format.

If you want pm me your cell # and I will send them via mms text.

What I have is a 2007 America 32" x 3" EPCO turnouts with the cross pipe removed, snorkel removed and bottom of the air box/filter cut. The sound clips sound good, but I can not even begin describe the in person sound.

How much did you cut out of the bottom of the air box and where? Right next to the filter? Thanx

jyatesmp

Scooter
when you take the filter out you will see a oval (more or less) of dimples. I took a hole saw and cut 2 holes out to make a oval..... same thing with the bottom of the filter...

However I have been having a problem with stalling in the rain...This may be due to this mod or from the vent tube for the gas tank....

I am not sure the cause because I never got stuck in the rain before the mod...but I have cut the vent tube at an angle (per other threads) and will see if that is the cause of stalling or not....Hope it is

jyatesmp

Scooter
Ok...someone converted it for me (Thanks EDG1911) and it will now play on a computer...

I can now email if you want...PM for that

Or if someone will put it on a site for me so we can post a link please let me know...we are locked down tight and I cant get to most midea host (or any that I have found)

mark66

TT Racer
when you take the filter out you will see a oval (more or less) of dimples. I took a hole saw and cut 2 holes out to make a oval..... same thing with the bottom of the filter...

However I have been having a problem with stalling in the rain...This may be due to this mod or from the vent tube for the gas tank....

I am not sure the cause because I never got stuck in the rain before the mod...but I have cut the vent tube at an angle (per other threads) and will see if that is the cause of stalling or not....Hope it is

Ok now I get it. Your gettin air through both ends of the filter increasing the air flow.
If your stalling is just in the rain then seems to me it would point to the air box mod and not the vent tube.

jyatesmp

Scooter
Yes...I have read both could cause this...I am waiting on a uni filter to come in... next time it rains I'll try it as is, and see if it was the vent hose (I hope) if not I'll seal the hole up and see if that will fix it

jyatesmp

Scooter
Ok had some rain sat and turns out it looks like it was the vent tube....I had the air box as stated and cut the bottom tank vent to about a 45 degree angle.... It did not stall. I'll need to try a few more times as this makes it 2 stalls 2 non-stalls, but hope thats it.

Frank

Scooter
Just pull the right pipe off, slide a 1 1/4" freeze plug in that side of the cross-over and button it back up. That's all there is to it. Sounds a little difference. Can't tell any difference in power.