Barn Find Questions

MattRat

TT Racer
well after a crappy couple of years I think i'm about to get back on a bike - friend of mine :worthy: found a mid-70s CB750F and I'm going through the process of having it shipped. I found some good info out there on the web, but had one question - How do I run a vin check (preferably as cheaply as possible)

great resource for barn find registrations is here:
http://scoot.net/faq/Register_a_barn_find

hankmarx

750cc
I bought a bike with no title, had the DPS run the title search, then went with a bonded title. Yes, it was a hassle. Yes it was expensive. [400$?} They told me if the bike was hot I would have to give it up, I got lucky. I am still glad I did it.

Good Luck, Matt!

Bonafide

NBR founder
I hear there's a cop down Georgia way who likes CB's and Bonnie's. Maybe he could run the number's for ya?

Cant. It's a violation of my State Law to use my GCIC (which is hooked in to the NCIC) for that kind of search.

VIN verifications are or should be a service your local jurisdiction can provide. They will or should generate/write a case in preparation of any govt questions concerning the search. Also, they wont or should not run the VIN unless the vehicle is in the Officers presence. This verifies no fraud is being committed and if it's stolen, he will be taking said vehicle into custody. The Officer should be able to meet you at the vehicle's location so you dont have to tow it (if it's non-running or non-tagged/insured).

rodburner

Rocker
Wow,they sure seem to have taken some of the "fun" out of being a LEO. Didn't mean to put you on the spot. Just too much TV, I guess, where everybody has a friend on the force,that can track down the numbers..modern times..grrrrr