I still don't like the new Thunderbird...

hmm let's call out the similarities:

2005-Honda-VTX1800C-Spec1.jpg

2010thunderbird2.JPG

I'll start:

the fenders, seats, tanks, handlebars, exhausts, side covers, headlights, turn signals, etc all look like they came out of the same parts bin.

biker7

Banned
Yeah they are very close and can we say ugly cousins? ;)
Not to bash the Tbird too much further but I also can't stand:
Ugly cam cover/cylinder head...looks like it came from a 50's sci fi B movie.
Tank badges
Huge and uglier than sin belt pulley cover
Over the top fat slash pipes...which could be changed of course
George

innominate

Street Tracker
hmm let's call out the similarities:

2005-Honda-VTX1800C-Spec1.jpg

2010thunderbird2.JPG

I'll start:

the fenders, seats, tanks, handlebars, exhausts, side covers, headlights, turn signals, etc all look like they came out of the same parts bin.

dude! the honda has shaft drive. totally different bikes:lol3:

innominate

Street Tracker
and a little pit of a thread hijack... Jeff, when u want to schedule a test ride?

bike069.jpg

and yes, that is dog shit by the rear tire. my gf leaves her pugs in the garage when it rains.

innominate

Street Tracker
Way to go, Mark!
Does that make 3 bikes?

Yeah that's #3. Lol. No good reason but I've got 3.

It's been too long. When this damn rain stops we need to get together and ride again. You goin to the harvest classic in a couple weeks? If the weather is good I think Becky and I are gonna go.

hankmarx

750cc
I would love to go to the harvest classic.
I am at the whims of a madman at work.
we will wait and see if i get to go.

and a little pit of a thread hijack... Jeff, when u want to schedule a test ride?

hey cool, ya got it! Congrats! Just lemme know when you want to get together. I'm still not working so my schedule is open. I have a few irons in the fire so hopefully something will pan out soon...

DandyDoug

750cc
Biker7,

I'll try and answer your questions. My short list is not very short, since I like almost all types of motorcycles and am not brand hostile like some. My history of ownership runs from old Brit,German,and Japanese. I prefer European styled sit up straight, riding aggressivly but not stupid on public roads ,I wear most of the gear most of the time. I am considered by most to be a competent very smooth rider. The RK just sort of came on my radar while I was having a tire mounted on my T100, I rode it and made a very sweet deal hoping my only other cruiser experiences were just the bike and not the riding position. I was wrong !

The RK foot position is not really what I would call a feet forward thing. Yes the foot boards are not directly under my butt like I prefer,but I can stand up and move around when I see a bunch of bumps or a rail road crossing . The Thunderbirds pegs were way out front and high for my 28" inseam. This automatically rotates my hips so they are in an unatural position and sets me up for pain.

On the RK I can actually hustle the bike through the twisties and have no problem keeping up with the guys I ride with ,and they do ride quickly at times. I do not think the Thunderbird would be able to do as well even though it has a higher center of gravity than the RK. The RKC is about 2" lower than a standard RK . I'm not sure what the ground clearance of the Thunderbird is, and yes I do drag my foot boards on the RK occasionally. That just tells me to slow down a little and or change my line , then it's fine. I can make the back end of the RK wiggle around if I push it real hard, The T Bird was doing it at much less lean angles and at less speed.

As for the comparing of the ergonomics between the two bikes. They are not as close as I had thought. They are both cruiser style and I would need to spend some length of time with the T Bird getting it to fit me as well as the RKC out of the box does.

The object of the test was to see if the T Bird did not cause me low back pain. My RKC does after 100 miles, the T Bird did it in 25. Results = no T bird in my future.

By the way my RKC is available if anyone is interested at a very reasonable price and in excellent condition. I am down sizing and will be keeping the T100 I may consider an older airhead BMW as a second bike if I find the right one.

Last edited:

biker7

Banned
Biker7,

I'll try and answer your questions. My short list is not very short, since I like almost all types of motorcycles and am not brand hostile like some. My history of ownership runs from old Brit,German,and Japanese. I prefer European styled sit up straight, riding aggressivly but not stupid on public roads ,I wear most of the gear most of the time. I am considered by most to be a competent very smooth rider. The RK just sort of came on my radar while I was having a tire mounted on my T100, I rode it and made a very sweet deal hoping my only other cruiser experiences were just the bike and not the riding position. I was wrong !

The RK foot position is not really what I would call a feet forward thing. Yes the foot boards are not directly under my butt like I prefer,but I can stand up and move around when I see a bunch of bumps or a rail road crossing . The Thunderbirds pegs were way out front and high for my 28" inseam. This automatically rotates my hips so they are in an unatural position and sets me up for pain.

On the RK I can actually hustle the bike through the twisties and have no problem keeping up with the guys I ride with ,and they do ride quickly at times. I do not think the Thunderbird would be able to do as well even though it has a higher center of gravity than the RK. The RKC is about 2" lower than a standard RK . I'm not sure what the ground clearance of the Thunderbird is, and yes I do drag my foot boards on the RK occasionally. That just tells me to slow down a little and or change my line , then it's fine. I can make the back end of the RK wiggle around if I push it real hard, The T Bird was doing it at much less lean angles and at less speed.

As for the comparing of the ergonomics between the two bikes. They are not as close as I had thought. They are both cruiser style and I would need to spend some length of time with the T Bird getting it to fit me as well as the RKC out of the box does.

The object of the test was to see if the T Bird did not cause me low back pain. My RKC does after 100 miles, the T Bird did it in 25. Results = no T bird in my future.

By the way my RKC is available if anyone is interested at a very reasonable price and in excellent condition. I am down sizing and will be keeping the T100 I may consider an older airhead BMW as a second bike if I find the right one.

Doug,
We have the same perception about cruisers. I just came off a Victory Vegas and it bothered my back after 20 miles. I can ride my Bonnie 150 miles with no back issues. I am long legged btw. The cruiser slouch issue is well documented with forward controls and many suffer back issues riding one. The RK has a more neutral riding position....a good riding position IMHO. To me the Thunderbird is a disappointment because they could have made is a high power bonnie and I would likely have traded my new T100 in for one...but they didn't and I will never own the new Tbird. Sounds like you aren't sold on the RK riding experience. I know this is heresy on here but to me the RK is the perfect sunday cruiser to take a girlfriend out for a nice 100 mile ride out to the country and spend the day....a perfect low speed cruiser with significant other on the back. There are much more capable bikes for higher speed 2 up riding. I mentioned the Connie Concours...my favorite but many others that fit that bill and they all have the foot position a bit farther underneath how we like. A wing is better as well and you can also fit highway pegs to one and many do.
Cheers,
George
Doug...for grins, post a pic of your RKC if you would since its for sale. Maybe an interested party here. Also...isn't it common to fit a back rest to a RK? The way I look at forward control motorcycles is...they have exactly the same seat position as an automobile only without a seat backrest. The only way I can tolerate a forward control motorcycle for big miles unless the rear suspension is higher than what is fashionable...is with a seat backrest.

Last edited:
DandyDoug,

Your experiences with the RK sound very similar to my dad's Road Glide. I would say he rides a Road Glide, but it's more like he owns it and rides it sparingly ;)

He sold his pristine 2008 FJR1300 (that he actually rode) because he thought at 55 years old he needed to slow down. Plus, he said the low bars of the FJR hurt his shoulders (he had surgery ~15 years ago).

I've spent some time in the saddle of the Road Glide, and it is a fantastic bike, for what it's meant to do. I love the big saddle, the floorboards, the CD/mp3/etc player...the list goes on. Basically, it's 100% different than my Bonnie and that's probably why I liked it. I certainly wouldn't trade for one, but I'd like to borrow his and ride it cross country and back a time or 3. I imagine he wouldn't know it was gone from the garage, apart from the extra miles on the odo!

Side side note:

My dad has been riding since the late 60s, and always had a bike when I was growing up. I spent a lot of time on the back of his bikes, especially 2 Electra Glides he had when I was between the ages of 10 and 14. Just for kicks, when he got his Road Glide, we took this pic:

jeffanddadride2-28-09007.jpg

Gretsch

Rocker
Seeing Sweat riding pillion is... Its.... I'm speechless :lol:

Sorry bro, just expect to see you leaning over the bars of the wicked bonnie....