HID Conversion

Wheelhorse

Scooter
Be careful not to go too cheap.

Over on the TJ Jeep forum, those guys found a kit(s) for their round headlamps for around 95-ish dollars that have been rather well tested and proven not to fail on you at the most inopportune time.

Stay with around 6K on the scale...the truest white light. Anything over and you start to acquire the wrong kid of attention.

I've been using DDM tuning his kits on my 4runner for years and never had a issue. I prefer to stick with 4500 kelvin, 6000 to me is way to blue

Jimbon

Scooter
I used to have a business selling HID kits which I specifically designed for motorcycles.

The kits you show, like virtually all HID kits on the market are not designed for motorcycles but for cars. Many people who sell these kits know little about motorcycles or which specific kits (HID bulbs/lamps) should be supplied for which model taking into account which year manufacturers changed bulbs fitted to a specific model; which headlight shells are too short to take H4 bulbs fitted with a two inch solenoid to facilitate moving a shield back and forth to get high or low beam (Speed/Street Tripples, Yamaha TDM 900s, 1960s Triumphs fitted with a flat back Headlight shell...)

I had extra long looms/leads made to tailor slimline ballast kits for motorcycles, so that ballasts and starters could be placed under the seat or under the back of the tank and have a single sheath of cable running to the headlight shell. I even produced positive earth kits for 1960s bikes.

I fitted kits to bikes as diverse as GS 1200 Adventurers (Twin headlights plus two side pods, which fooled motorists into thinking a Jumbo jet was landing behind them), Hinkley Tigers and old and new Bonnies.

Unfortunately, as not enough riders/potential customers thought they needed 3 times better lighting; too many riders/potential customers thought the price too much for a light that would last the life of the bike, ordered the wrong bulbs, mucked up the simple fitting instructions and gave me so much grief in honouring my committment to replace all kit without argument within the first year (one lad cut the kit up and taped it back together, then when it didn't work he got his mum to telephone and scream at me that I'd ripped him off), I gave up trying to sell this excellent kit.

So my advice would be make sure you have all the bits you need in a kit: slim-line ballast, relay with connections for your battery, starter, and loom/cable suitable to run to your bike's headlight; that you make sure to order the right kit with the correct bulb and relay for your bike (H4 with a sheath that moves to produce high and low beam from one HID arc for single headlight Bonnies); that you have room to fit the kit under a seat/tank and in the headlight shell, and most important of all you have a cast iron guarantee that you can return the kit if opened and found not to fit your bike.

If the kit does not work, 9 times out of 10 your apparently perfectly working battery is not producing enough charge to allow the ballast to convert 12v to 23,000v for the initial arc start up charge; or more rarely the HID ballast is duff.

Last edited: