Surging advice experience

strokerlmt

Just finished a 600 mile weekend to Willow Springs for the vintage races. Great ride good friends fun race.
I developed a problem for the last 50 miles and could use some advice. The bike started to surge when I would put on the gas. A quick surge 2-3 hundred rpm then back to normal. 1/2 mile from home it would surge without putting on the gas. Anyone have thoughts. Carbs, clutch???? Thx for looking and any thoughts.
LMT

Bonniebret

Rocker
If you've pulled the AI check to see if the rubber nipple/caps on the carbs are secure and not loose or cracked. BTW I don't think I ever saw your bike finished. It looks great!

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Could just be poor fuel, get some carb or injector cleaner I had the same problem and contacted my mechanic and it was just down to poor fuel quality. Hope this helps mate all the best Ben Dickens

strokerlmt

If you've pulled the AI check to see if the rubber nipple/caps on the carbs are secure and not loose or cracked. BTW I don't think I ever saw your bike finished. It looks great!

Thx for the advice......need a new picture.....I welded a 2 inch throat on a dominator and it sounds great.
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 0

koifarm

Hooligan
Had a surging incident today on a ride. Bike started to surge after about 25-30 miles into the ride, at cruise about 55-60...I had gone 100 miles and it felt like it was out of gas and needing a reserve switch....grabbed the reserve and she ran fine....
Got to thinking about it and knew I'd filled her up 100 miles back and then remembered it happening last year when the petcock clogged from debris in the tank...that primer looking flaky stuff had clogged the main but the reserve was okay and it ran fine.
Looks like I'm gonna have to pull the tank next time it empties. The routine is that if the main is clogged, once you stop the bike, the stuff settles off it and it's okay again....back on main but you just have to be aware of what's happening....
Common problem in the 07's as I recall. Don't know about other years.

strokerlmt

Thx Koifarm......drained off a gallon of gas.....had a look at the petcock filter with a mirror and it looks fine. Added carb cleaner to full tank of fuel. Drained the carb bowls, looked like a little H2O tightened everything up and have not had time for a ride.
LMT