Fork Oil Change Question

I have a 2006 Bonneville, Black. Just purchased a set of Ricor Intiminators. Has anyone used a mighty-vac with a long, thin tube to suck out the fork oil rather than drop the fork tubes? Ricor told me I could do it this way-does this work? Thanks. Markrider

I have a 2006 Bonneville, Black. Just purchased a set of Ricor Intiminators. Has anyone used a mighty-vac with a long, thin tube to suck out the fork oil rather than drop the fork tubes? Ricor told me I could do it this way-does this work? Thanks. Markrider

Dropping forks is very easy. If you have a motocycle jack just lift it up and secure the bike to the jack with tie downs so it minimizes the chance of teetering the bike. It would probably take you forever to remove all the oil if you use a mityvac.

To be fair Ive never dropped the forks on my Bonnie (other than maybe a few mm to get better flick-in capabilities) but Ive done it on my 675 when I had to have my forks straightened and get new fork oil and seals. Its a lot easier than it looks. Really. It is.

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
you will need a long thin tube to get to the bottom of the damper rod
something like aquarium tubing
you are better off dropping the tubes to flush the old oil out
a 4 year old bike's forks need a good cleaning
it's winter, what else do you have to do?

Thanks, makes sense to do this now during the winter, plus I can put on the right gaiters that will look better with my forkbrace. This should make the front end look better. -markrider

strokerlmt

Hey Markrider........I tried the vac and it was messy and took forever. Dropping the forks was easy and I cleaned the tubes etc etc. It is good to back out the triple tree bolts, clean the threads and put back in.
Good luck....
LMT

I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said. Dropping the forks may be intimidating if you've never done it before, but it is very easy. I dropped mine to install gators a few months ago. It went much easier then I thought it would. So get a friend and some beer and have a go of it. :D

Support the rear wheel (with a cinder block, 4x4, pile of lumber scraps, whatever) when you remove the front wheel, or the entire bike+jack might tip back.

Removing the forks is easy, as mentioned, and you'll be able to measure the oil to the correct height. 135-140mm from the top of the tube is a good starting point. It also gives you the opportunity to re-torque those critical bolts.

By the way, only make the caps snug, don't even attempt any torque; the o-rings provide the seal, and the fine aluminum threads are delicate. Press down evenly with a 22mm socket and start them gently and carefully.

Thanks for all the info/tips. I have a lift-(I replaced the front tire last year). I am just waiting for my order from Ricor to arrive so I can get started. Like you said it-this is a good winter project because I sure don't want to ride with all the snow and salt on the roads here in NJ. Anyway-I will be looking forward to road testing the forks when we get some better weather. I will share my experience.

FYI- I upgraded the rear stock suspension during December with a set of Hagon Nitros with springs mached to my weight -the next day it started to snow and it hasn't stopped- I like to do one thing at a time and test it out, but cabin fever is driving me to do the forks too-just hope this money is well spent and the upgrades are compatable- Markrider

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Riders, I thought all about you fellas who are snowed in up there and how bad it must suck to be in that position. Kinda made me laugh a little as the wind blew my hair around today as it was up to 61 degrees out today blue skies, no clouds, just bright sunshine down here in Dixie!
Hey, Y'all have a Dixie Day Soon Now, ya hear?

Yep, winter does suck for riding-it's not just the cold-who wants this frickin corrosive road salt over everything-its a PITA to wash it off-got to wait for a nice rain to clean off the roads ad then hope for at least one nice day.

Hey-who has the best location to ride year round? I mean not too hot, not too cold, with decent backroads, not too many cars, and sunny days?
-markrider

Yep, winter does suck for riding-it's not just the cold-who wants this frickin corrosive road salt over everything-its a PITA to wash it off-got to wait for a nice rain to clean off the roads ad then hope for at least one nice day.

Hey-who has the best location to ride year round? I mean not too hot, not too cold, with decent backroads, not too many cars, and sunny days?
-markrider

I think I did a good thing moving to Thailand from the UK but truth be told, sometimes it's too damn hot and sometimes it rains like a bastard but generally I get more smiles per mile and quality riding here than I have ever done in the past 30 years living and riding in the UK & Europe. BUT, if I won the lottery, there would be loads of other destinations to try.....

Cheers,

Pikey