Cafe Racer Project / Style

sportyone

Street Tracker
:shh:
Guys here is some more bad news influencing my choice. I have been advised from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE that Ikon 412 shocks are sold wholesale at an amount of 10 AUD per Unit! That means a set of shocks is supplied at a cost of 20 AUD. I was advised that progressive shocks are around 70 Aud a set. Somebody is making some real big bucks here in sales so IMO I cannot think that something that costs 10 aud is going to be quality and last as long as I intend to keep my bike!!!!:yawn:

wow what reliable source ?
sounds abit fishy, really "shocking" if it were true, which I doubt is ? :chair:

I do know alot of what are advertised are not better than originals though,
sorta a mind over matter thing. you pay heaps so you dream they're better, IMHO.
what are you going to do with your machine anyway Ben ? race it ?
the standard shocks are fine for normal street, highway & general twisties riding, keeping in mind our speed limits.
many just swop them over cose they like the look of the fancy looking
boyracer shocks IMO. :shh:

Hey mate, I know you have a mate at P/S :)
but why don't you have him do the work on your bike privately
instead of going through their workshop & paying heaps more ? :huh:

Last edited:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
wow what reliable source ?
sounds abit fishy, really "shocking" if it were true, which I doubt is ? :chair:

I do know alot of what are advertised are not better than originals though,
sorta a mind over matter thing. you pay heaps so you dream they're better, IMHO.
what are you going to do with your machine anyway Ben ? race it ?
the standard shocks are fine for normal street, highway & general twisties riding, keeping in mind our speed limits.
many just swop them over cose they like the look of the fancy looking
boyracer shocks IMO. :shh:

Hey mate, I know you have a mate at P/S :)
but why don't you have him do the work on your bike privately
instead of going through their workshop & paying heaps more ? :huh:

That is where the bike is now he is doing the work for me at home, he is actually the source and has heaps and heaps of contacts in the bike industry and is known for making up award winning harley davidsons featured in magazine etc. He informed me this when I mentioned getting some Ikon Shocks. He has met and knows the sales reps in this field and said it is mearly the quality of parts installed in each shock, the design he said that a progressive shock is far better with better parts but still not the best. I don't have a reason to doubt him as I know he deals directly with suppliers etc for custom works and has been in the industry for over 25 years. He also used to own one of the bike stores in dandenong but got sick of the stress of running a store. I hope to pick the bike up tomorrow and hope to go to phillip island saturday are you going to the classic races at phillip Island on Saturday????

I get my bike on Thurs Night Yipeee

Stock shocks on the Bonne SE Are BADDDDD there is plenty of reviews around that state this too. When you hit a bump a massive shock is sent up your spine at high velocity its not good at all hence the future upgrade.

Kind Regards Ben Dickens

Last edited:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Nevermind the damn shocks already!!! Who's the HOTTIE?!?!?! More pix!!

Found her surfing the net, talk about a dream pillion and being in the market for a new bride she more than fulfills the criteria.... If I find any more pics I will pass them up for you I share

Kind Regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

Last edited:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
:cheer::bug::rock::attn: I ordered the Nitro Hagons today for my Bonne SE I will give you all a report on there performance once I get them and use them. I bought the Black version with anadized black fittings and crome springs so they should look quite classic fingers crossed. If nothing less they should provide me with some much needed comfort when I hit the occasional pot hole on the roads. Get the bike back tomorrow it has done a oil pressure switch which is an intimittent fault and is getting repaired. I will post picks when I get my prized possession back. Hope to catch up with a few fellow bonne and thruxton riders over the weekend at Phillip Island for the classic races. Kindest Regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

Attachments

• nitro_pair.jpg
    nitro_pair.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Dscf0014crop.jpg
    Dscf0014crop.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0

sportyone

Street Tracker
:cheer::bug::rock::attn: I ordered the Nitro Hagons today for my Bonne SE I will give you all a report on there performance once I get them and use them. I bought the Black version with anadized black fittings and crome springs so they should look quite classic fingers crossed. If nothing less they should provide me with some much needed comfort when I hit the occasional pot hole on the roads. Get the bike back tomorrow it has done a oil pressure switch which is an intimittent fault and is getting repaired. I will post picks when I get my prized possession back. Hope to catch up with a few fellow bonne and thruxton riders over the weekend at Phillip Island for the classic races. Kindest Regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

So did your mate get them for $10 each for you then ? :)

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
So did your mate get them for $10 each for you then ? :)
:chair:

No:chair: they are not Ikon's they are HAGON NITRO:headbang2: shocks wish they were 10 bucks each though. I am picking my bike up tonight can't wait to see it with the new handlebars and bits. I should get the shocks in the next coupal of weeks along with my Joker Machine headlight bracket and ignition relocation switch bracket also Joker Machine. Looking forward to seeing some nice bikes tomorrow down the island, meeting up with a guzzi sport and ducati sport s retro riding buds. When I get the shocks and the other bits and pieces I will post the picks, prob going for a ride with a mate new to bikes sometime next week around the peninsula/flinders/redhill etc, so I will give ya a buzz.

Kind Regards Ben Dickens:headbang2:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Got the bike back with the new ace 7/8th handlebars:worthy:, they are fantastic but not to everybody's taste as they do change your riding position to sports. I have also had the new cam brushed cover fitted, new reserviour and grips + levers pics below guys. The Classic races were good but no triumphs around other than one stock thruxton while I was their. Hopefully next year we can organise a group of trumpy's to go down there for race day more bikes a heap were going down when I was coming back? Superbikes at the island in 2 weeks! The next time I post pics of the bike will be its final completion with the headlight bracket, rear shocks and also ignition relocation switch. Enjoy the pics!:headbang2:

Kind Regards Ben Dickens
:headbang2::wave:

Attachments

• IMG_0749.JPG
    IMG_0749.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
Sweet!

On a personal note, I would change the fugly rear light and indicators to something more streamlined and also bob the rear mudguard but obviously that's subjective.

Looks good and I hope you have many many happy miles ahead of you. :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

strokerlmt

Really nice bike....I like Pikey's thoughts......it would smooth out your lines. But hey.....nice ride...thx for the pics.
LMT

Lovin it man! I finally scored myself that brushed cover too and seeing it on your bike is making me glad i did!

You're on Australia right? When i come down someday we'll go for a ride. :)

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
When refering to bobbing the rear fender is this a term in which you cut the rear fender down or remove it all together with a rear fender removal kit? The rear fender removal kits are band in Melb Australia and I dont want to become a cop magnet but if bobbing it refers to something else can you please explain. Some pics would be a handy reference too. Thank you all for your nice comments they are greatly appreciated and once the shocks and other mods are on I will post the final pics, have fun and ride safe

Kind Regards Ben Dickens

Yeah, bobbing is just cutting it back to a length you think looks good. A lot of people want a sportier look so they cut it back to about the length of the thruxtons fender. That one ends just under the brake light.

It's all up to taste though.

sportyone

Street Tracker
The rear fender removal kits are band in Melb Australia and I dont want to become a cop magnet but if bobbing it refers to something else can you please explain.

Kind Regards Ben Dickens

Gee mate, didn't know they were BANNED ! :eeek:
wow there are a heck of alot of bikes getting about illegally then, eh ?
I know they are supposed not to like front number plates either, but my bike looks more classic anyway & if your behaving, no bodies going to worry too much I reckon ?

most rice racers look bobbed to me ? and what about the "Deus Machina" bikes ?:shh:

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
What Not To Do When Putting A Headlight Bracket On!

:shh:Hi guys thought I would let you know that today I put the headlight bracket Joker Machine and Ignition Relocation Switch Joker Machine On. This was done by firstly F*c*ing IT UP:chair:. I removed the centre yoke and then the front suspension yokes the ones next to the centre. Well to say that event scared the shit out of me was a understatement. The front suspension shot up and nearly hit me in the head. Very NEWBEE INCIDENT, So learn from my mistakes you must remove your front wheel and drop the suspension out to achieve the replacement. Needless to say the bike wanted to FALL, I wanted to cry and everything was in a bad state of affairs. Fortunately I contacted a fellow biker with heaps of mechanical knowledge who helped me out of the bind and I finished the job with him triple checking everything and then double checking that. It looks cool though and I am very happy with the result and when the rear shocks arrive I am not touching them. I will go to his house where he is setup for bike stuff and do the job with his brains not mine. I have also fitted the pillion LSL rearsets see pics. On a positive note I did learn a hell of a lot today even if I nearly had a heart attack!!! Pics below Disaster to Completion!!!!:headbang2::cheer::wave:

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    IMG_0872.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 0

tezza

Street Tracker
Man,i love this bike,it just keeps getting better and better.I guess we all have fuckup tales from when we first started working on bikes,they get funnier with age.Keep up the good work Ben !

Looks sweet! I can vouch for Ninja K on the airbox removal. I installed a NARK on mine with a set of D&D's, plus rejetted the carbs. The difference is night and day...she rip-schnorts now!