Gasket question

strokerlmt

I am pains takingly scraping a 1/4 at a time clutch case old gasket off.
Anyone have a trick to get off easier ???
Thx in advance
LMT

Chris in NC

Street Tracker
If you're talking about the gasket between the primary cover (aluminum) and the engine case (also aluminum), I've had pretty good luck using a single-edge razor blade.. but you gotta lay it almost flat and take it very easy so you don't gouge the aluminum on either piece.

strokerlmt

If you're talking about the gasket between the primary cover (aluminum) and the engine case (also aluminum), I've had pretty good luck using a single-edge razor blade.. but you gotta lay it almost flat and take it very easy so you don't gouge the aluminum on either piece.

That is what I am doing .......I have ragged up the inards so nothing gets inside. Using a very sharpened scraper with glasses on making sure no scratches. I was thinking of wetting the gasket with something to make it come off easier..thx
LMT

koifarm

Hooligan
You could wet it with Thermite or Primacord, apply it sparingly to the surface, get behind your sandbag bunker, crank the detonator and poof ! Gasket gone, and for that matter the bike as well but hey, you got the gasket off....
For those of you using this method, peripheral and collateral damages can be an issue so use the primacord sparingly, applying a tiny bead along the surfaces to be cleared and you should have success.
Remember, aluminum has a melting point of 660.32 deg C (degrees Celsius) so you would want to keep the cases intact use the RDX instead of the PETN since the RDX has a lower melting point.
Trial and error is one way to make sure you'll be okay, you can experiment with the wife's pressure cooker, applying a bead around the rim and setting it off, it will tell you plus or minus on the amount. Dealing with the wife may be a bit dicey but if you carefully explain to her what you're doing, she'll either understand or boot you out to sleep on the couch for destroying her cookware.

Stars&Bars

Two Stroke
Danged Funny Koi- I'd have to add that if your wifes like mine you might not want to use the new Emerald Lagasse or Racheal Ray cook pans!
Try and find one of those older, not so well loved pans at the rear of the shelf for removing gaskets using the Thermite method.

I've used Permatex Gasket Remover to get stubborn gasket material of of softer types of metal in the past. Got it at a local auto parts shop.

Last edited:

koifarm

Hooligan
I've used Permatex Gasket Remover to get stubborn gasket material of of softer types of metal in the past. Got it at a local auto parts shop.

+1 on that stuff, it works ! Just be careful where any residue goes cuz it will eat the daylights out of anything that touches it. Wash your hands after using it.